Thursday, 14 October 2010

Questions week one

1.  What was the last image/object/artefact that excited you? How, why & where did you encounter it?
The Colston Hall.
Foyer exterior
It’s not really an image, object or artefact, but it did interest me.
While taking photos for my Urban Landscape project, I looked at the building in a different way. It shimmers in the sunlight and casts reflected sunlight on the darker areas of the building. I think I may be becoming interested in architectural photography.


2.  What excites you about your chosen area of Creative Practice? Why have you chosen to study it further?
I have always been interested in photography and studied to foundation level some years ago. I didn’t feel the time was right to continue onto degree level, so I spent years travelling and working abroad.
Returning now at this stage in my life feels right. I’m more focused and am looking forward to learning new techniques along side getting back into the darkroom, where I was always so happy.
Photography plays some part in everyone’s life, whether it is to record a summer holiday, birthday, wedding or used in advertising, photojournalism or an intriguing piece of art.
I feel photography is a diverse medium and is always changing technically and artistically and I am excited about finding my niche in this field.
3.    What do you hope to achieve at the end of these 2 years? What would you like to be doing?

After complete the course I am hoping to go on to study the 3rd year at Bower Ashton . I have had lots of work experience and am really excited about having the opportunity and know how to be working within a creative business at the end of the 3 years.

4.    What sorts of things have you written about and/or researched specifically before? E.g are you particularly interested in a specific area, issue, theme, genre, subculture, type of design etc?

Some years ago now I set myself a project in Portugal. I followed a group of cork cutters around in the woods and recorded their working day. I discovered the traditional way they worked as a team, with the ladies painting the dates on the freshly cut trunks and cooking their lunches on the fire in the old clay pots. This way of cork cutting has died out now, so I feel I have been luck enough to record a part of history. Portugal  moved very quickly into the 21st century so the photos I took less than 20 years ago are now a huge part of Portugal’s history.

5.    What excites you now? What sorts of arts, design, performance, media, spectacles etc do you go & see/take part in? What do you read? What feeds your interests?

Recently I have attended the opening of the Upfest gallery and a fashion show for a retro shop.
Living in Bristol and having friends who are artists and performers means that there is always something happening somewhere at the weekend.
I visit some galleries, mostly local ones like the Arnolfini, Watershed, Tobacco factory, Spike Island and Photographique.
I’m not a great reader, but I do get the weekend observer and guardian, where I find there are great articles about all elements of the arts. They have also introduced me to some new photographers.

No comments:

Post a Comment